We made our first Christmas gift - a jersey pompom infinity scarf!
Last year we posted the incredibly quick (shhh, don't tell anyone) tutorial showing you how to make a half hour infinity scarf, and also on another week, the scarf/snood/hat thingie. This year we're merging the two and adding a little spin. We love the soft feel of jersey knit as a scarf so for this week's make we used beautiful Art Gallery Fabric jersey knit and a string of pompoms to create this irresistibly snuggly but stylish gift.
So, for this project you will need:
- half a metre of 150cm wide medium weight jersey knit fabric we used Imprint Butterballs Gold Knit
- 150cm coordinating pompom trim
- coordinating thread
- tape measure
1. Line the pompom trim up along the long edge of the right side of the fabric with the pompoms facing away from the edge.
2. Sew the pompom trim down close (about half a cm) away from the edge of the fabric.
3. Continue all along the long edge of the fabric.
4. Fold the fabric in half along the long edge, right sides together.
5. Pin together along the edge.
6. Take note of the line you can see where the pompom trim was sewn to the fabric edge.
7. Sew another line of stitches closer in to the pompom trim than the previous sewn line. You are aiming to sew as close to the actual pompoms as you can without catching them in the stitches. This is not too tricky as long as you go slowly and smooth out the fabric and push the pompoms away as you go.
8. turn the tube in the right way and snip off a pompom from each end of the tube otherwise it will make the seam allowance bulky.
9. line up the two ends, right sides together, starting at the seam. Pin and stitch together using a 1cm seam allowance. This will be easy at first but then get trickier as the unsewn gap gets smaller. When you get to about 5cm stop sewing and backtack to secure.
10. slipstitch the remaining gap by hand and then you're done!
Wrap twice around your neck for a lovely snug scarf - or make an extra long scarf by adding two pieces of fabric together before you sew your tube.
Repeat for all the ladies on your Christmas list, wrap them all up, pour a big glass of wine and relax!