The 10th Make of Christmas is this super quick and easy present idea from Karen. Perfect for making sure you can see what's in each pocket, these great project pouches are a fab present for a keen sewist who's got a lot on the go all at one time!
You will need:
2 strips of fabric 4 – 4 ½” x length required
Zipper – any length as it can be trimmed to size
Plastic vinyl e.g. table cover vinyl
These pockets can be made any size – For this tutorial I had an extra long zip and cut the vinyl 12 ½” x 20” (the smaller ones I made were approximately 8” x 13 ½”). Use a walking foot throughout.
- Fold the fabric strips in half, wrong sides together and press. (So they will be 2 – 2 ½” x length).
- Sew fabric strip either side of the zip. I’ve used an extra long zip and pushed the zip pull out of the way so I could sew neatly – don’t forget to slide it back within the pocket area!
- In the seam allowance, sew over the zip several times if it’s going to be trimmed
- Sew vinyl to fabric pieces to form a cylinder – clips are really useful here. Trim excess zip – do not use your good scissors! – and turn right sides out. Decide which side your zip is going to open by swivelling the fabric to the desired side.
- Fold twill or bias tape in half and sew round raw edges.
and you're done!